The World Number 1 team surely will start out favourites. They are back at the helm after being toppled by Spain for some time. It is almost as if the World Cup belongs to Brazil and the others are trying to snatch it away. Even when they are not defending champs , they start out as favourites.
The team has a good solid look to it but Dunga, as is his wont, has gone for Function over Form. The sheer magic that is Brazil in full flow may be absent this time around. They may still win it but I hope not without the creativity.
Brazil is dependent on Kaka for the magic and team play for the flowing football. Pele is worried about Kaka’s form leading to the World Cup.Also Kaka had a disappointing 2006 World Cup, the presure will be on him to come good this time around. So am not sure of Brazil’s engine this time around. Also the flying Wingers do not seem so creative- remember Roberto Carlos and Cafu?. Alves is a great winger but has not yet matured to those levels.
All the mid-fielders are hardworking and technically correct. They have a very strong defence with members from the UEFA Champions League winning Inter Milan.
Other Players to watch out for
- Robinho – Starved of real success at the International Level, this bundle of talent can be the star upfront
- Gilberto Silva – A great Warhorse who adds steel to this Brazilian team
- Alves – His performances at Barca prove his is one of the best right wingers in the world at the moment
- Lucio – The captain and the spine of the team. His leadership will be critical to Brazil’s hopes
- Julio Cesar – One of the best in the Goal at present. He has improved greatly.
A great team no doubt but will they swagger or will they be stiff?Lets see – I may be wrong, Dunga may have got together the team which is more than the sum of its parts creatively and the team may do the Samba everytime!! I still wish Ronaldinho and Adriano were in the side.